Re: Free social media presence

Juanjo Marín <juanjomarin96 yahoo es> wrote:
I've realised that our identi.ca/gnome account is zombie since a year ago or so. I would to return to live
if anyone hasn't any objection for that. I think is important for GNOME to support free software services
like identi.ca, even though the audience on identi.ca is very small (576 followers, I guess many of them
not active).

The situation of this service is a confusing because identi.ca switched from StatusNet to pump.io. The old
StatusNet code was donated to FSF, and renamed it as GNU Social. So we now have two free federated social
media: pump.io and GNU Social. So now, identi.ca is just one of the        federated services in the
pump.io network.

I volunteer myself to proxy the messages from our mass social media (twitter, facebook or g+) to to
identi.ca. I'm also considering to open a GNU Social account for GNOME.

Any comments, suggestions, objections or whatever ? :-)

In the past we used identi.ca as a primary social media account. It
was configured to push posts to Twitter, which would then push the
posts on to Facebook. When identi.ca switched to pump.io things got
pretty confusing. I can't remember all the details, but it wasn't
clear how it was operating any more, and it seemed that the amount of
global activity dropped, so we (well, I) stopped using it, and started
posting from Twitter directly.

I have to confess that I still don't fully understand the new setup.
Neither pump.io nor gnu.io look like social media sites to me. I guess
I'm missing something - if someone could point me in the right
direction, and demonstrate that these sites are reliable, I'd be happy
to switch back or change the setup to push posts there.