Re: Reinvigoratoring the GNOME Amazon store

On 06/08/2014, Hashem Nasarat <hnasarat gmail com> wrote:
On 08/06/2014 11:24 AM, Rosanna Yuen wrote:
Hi,
On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 7:16 AM, Ekaterina Gerasimova
<kittykat3756 gmail com <mailto:kittykat3756 gmail com>> wrote:
    On 06/08/2014, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net
    <mailto:hadess hadess net>> wrote:
    > On Tue, 2014-08-05 at 19:03 +0100, Juanjo Marín wrote:
    >>

    >> Hi !
    >>

    >> In 2009 we introduced an amazon store in the friend of gnome page
    [1].
    >> AFAIR, Jaap Haitsma was, at least, one of the person on charge of
    this
    >> and did a very good job. When you make your Amazon purchases at
this
    >> store the GNOME Foundation will receive a referral fee which
amounts
    >> to 4-6% of the total purchase you make. Depending on where you
live
    >> you can use the US, Canada, Germany, France, Japan or UK store.
    >
    > I have a couple of questions regarding the stores.
    >
    > - is the "front-end" at http://www.gnome.org/friends/amazon/ the
only
    > way for GNOME to get a referral fee, or would setting a referal
    "store"
    > as the Search plugin/Firefox add-on give you the same referral
fees?

    One needs to have the referrer in the URL when one navigates to
    Amazon, so it is possible to have a search in Epiphany with the
    referrer ID without too much difficulty. It would be nice if this was
    something that was shipped with Epiphany by default.

I vaguely remember this was discussed in the past and we couldn't do it
because it was against their terms of service.  Does anyone have time to
look them over to make sure that that isn't the case?

Thanks,
Rosanna

You mean this?
https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/gp/associates/agreement/
" Qualifying Purchases exclude, and we will not pay advertising fees on
any of, the following:
any Product purchased by a customer who is referred to the Amazon Site
through any of the following:
a link to the Amazon Site, including a Redirecting Link, that is
generated or displayed on a Search Engine in response to a general
Internet search query or keyword (i.e., in natural, free, organic, or
unpaid search results), whether those links appear through your
submission of data to that site or otherwise. "

This would not apply as we would be searching Amazon directly, with
the intention of buying something from Amazon (almost same as what our
Amazon store does), and the submission of data is only to Amazon
without going through any third parties.

I think this clause is more aimed at preventing search engines having
a "featured" Amazon referral for all searches.

But if there is still doubt, we can always ask Amazon to clarify.