Re: Reinvigoratoring the GNOME Amazon store

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 7:16 AM, Ekaterina Gerasimova <kittykat3756 gmail com> wrote:
On 06/08/2014, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-08-05 at 19:03 +0100, Juanjo Marín wrote:
>>

>> Hi !
>>

>> In 2009 we introduced an amazon store in the friend of gnome page [1].
>> AFAIR, Jaap Haitsma was, at least, one of the person on charge of this
>> and did a very good job. When you make your Amazon purchases at this
>> store the GNOME Foundation will receive a referral fee which amounts
>> to 4-6% of the total purchase you make. Depending on where you live
>> you can use the US, Canada, Germany, France, Japan or UK store.
>
> I have a couple of questions regarding the stores.
>
> - is the "front-end" at http://www.gnome.org/friends/amazon/ the only
> way for GNOME to get a referral fee, or would setting a referal "store"
> as the Search plugin/Firefox add-on give you the same referral fees?

One needs to have the referrer in the URL when one navigates to
Amazon, so it is possible to have a search in Epiphany with the
referrer ID without too much difficulty. It would be nice if this was
something that was shipped with Epiphany by default.

I vaguely remember this was discussed in the past and we couldn't do it because it was against their terms of service.  Does anyone have time to look them over to make sure that that isn't the case?

Thanks,
Rosanna