Re: Proposing to change logo to a happy smiling garden gnome

On 10 Dec 2013, at 10:31, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:

I definitely like the idea of injecting some fun into the brand, and I
agree that allowing user groups to play with and remix the brand to
make it their own (and to localise it) would be really nice indeed. To
me, fun and informality are an important part of what GNOME is, and I
think we should be communicating it more strongly.

As you might recall, this is pretty much what Sun did with Java, and it worked pretty well — there was the
official Java 'coffee cup' logo that you couldn't use without Sun's permission, and the Duke mascot that was
released under a BSD licence for user groups and developers to do with pretty much as they pleased:

https://kenai.com/projects/duke/pages/Home

--
CALUM BENSON                        Interaction Designer
+353 1 803 3807                     Systems Experience Design