Re: happy birthday GNOME website!

----- Mensaje original -----
De: Diego Escalante Urrelo <diegoe gnome org>
Para: Juanjo Marín <juanjomarin96 yahoo es>
CC: "karen gnome org" <karen gnome org>; "marketing-list gnome org" <marketing-list gnome org>
Enviado: Sábado 11 de agosto de 2012 20:52
Asunto: Re: happy birthday GNOME website!

Action items? I can contact Chema and the GUADEC team about the
history of GNOME video.

Would you like to start writing the memories for each release?

OK. My action plan is 1) write the memories.  I started a google document, but I haven't had enough time to
do the job yet. I
copy the table from the wikipedia as a base to start write small summaries of
each release ASAP

https://docs.google.com/document/d/101nyeoVAES2hKJB2sXas1D7Zh00bI2YfhI2Hd-D4sL4/edit

Since version 2.0, we have release notes in

http://library.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/

I think small memories will be enough (maybe in a table format) and Diego can write special reports for the
releases he mentioned (1.4, 2.0, 2.14, 3.0 and 3.4) in a mini tour in the life of the gnome project

2) [tentative] to provide VMs for the releases Diego want to focus (1.4, 2.0, 2.14, 3.0 and 3.4)
GNOME 1.4, Red Hat (done by Germán)
GNOME 2.0 ?
GNOME 2.14 Ubuntu 6.04
GNOME 3.0 OpenSUSE 11.4
GNOME 3.4  Fedora 17

Like I
said, I would only do a few releases, not all. See my previous
proposal.

Ideas about the different GNOME generations taken from
http://jeudisdulibre.be/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/bxl-jeudis-gnome-3.pdf

GNOME 1 =  Much more user friendly than typical windows managers, but not still ready for everybody

GNOME 2 = Made to be usable by everybody. GNOME applications should follow the Human Interface Guidelines
(First document of this kind and scope in Free Software desktop space). Accessibility is integrated by
switching from a “bolted-on” to a “built-in” model

GNOME 3 = _Designed_ to be usable by everybody. A much more holistic approach to take desktop usability to
the next level. It incorporates support for modern form factors and internet services.

Andreas perhaps might want to chime on what would be cool to gather
for the design: screenshots? old icons? the video?

I think Bastien Nocera has a collection of old icons.

Cheers,

    -- Juanjo Marin