Re: GNOME User Groups / Web site

On 05/16/2011 04:12 PM, Steven Mautone wrote:
Andreas,

Christer has already helped me configure us.gnome.org to my Web server so that I can begin building the usergroup site for the USA. I believe your idea might be a better structure for the site... instead of building a WordPress/BuddyPress community for the USA, we can build a more global usergroup site and provide sub-groups/categories for each region.  usergroups.gnome.org makes more sense.
Yeah, that sounds like a good name.
I think we want to keep it on the gnome.org infrastructure and ideally have it use the same wordpress installation as the rest of the gnome.org site. Anyhow, that's details, lets build the site first, we can move it later. :)

BuddyPress has great user levels for group moderation which I think will fit the GNOME community very well: http://codex.buddypress.org/getting-started/group-settings-and-roles/
I haven't really used buddypress before, but it sounds like a good plugin.
Vinicius Depizzol, who have done a lot of work on gnome.org and who will be working on gnome.org as part of his Google Summer of Code internship also had some ideas about a usergroup site.
I told him to get involved with this thread, so we can work out the details. I think it would be good to work out the details on what we want to see on the site on https://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/UserGroups, then do some mockups and then implement the site.
Does that sounds like a good plan?
- Andreas