Re: GNOME User Groups / Web site

Hi Steven!
Great to see more web hackers around.

On 05/10/2011 01:17 AM, Steven Mautone wrote:
Upon speaking with the User Group team it became evident that my skills and resources are best focused on Web development. Brian Cameron suggested that I get in contact with the Marketing team in order to see if there was any overlap.
Building a site for User Groups sounds like a great idea, and it wouldn't really have to be restricted to the user groups in USA only.
Say we have a space called www.gnome.org/usergroups or maybe usergroups.gnome.org. This would list all active user groups across the world and would allow you to find a local user group near where you live.
www.gnome.org/usergroups/mia could then be the site for the GNOME Miami community. That page could feature upcoming events, a contact person etc.
I created a page with ideas here https://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/UserGroups
Add more ideas to it, then we can start doing mockups and proper planning after that.
Brian also noted that the Friends of GNOME site (gnome.org/friends) is not functioning. I'd love to help get this site working if my WordPress skills can be of assistance.
The site is not actually broken, only the redirect, http://www.gnome.org/friends/ (with the slash at the end should work). But yes, we should totally port this to the Wordpress instance so your Wordpress skill should come very handy here!
I started some work on a new version of the Friends site back in January, but then got occupied by other things.
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/marketing-list/2011-January/msg00007.html

There is currently a html version of it here: http://gitorious.org/gnome-design/gnome-design/trees/master/www/friends-of-gnome-2.0 and it just needs some extra work to get it integrated into the regular gnome.org site.
The wordpress site is hosted here http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnomeweb-wp and should have everything for doing a local install for hacking purposes.
- Andreas