John Stowers wrote:
Fine. Here is my suggestion;

<GNOME 3 RELEASE NOTES GO HERE>
 * PRETTY LIST OF FEATURES
 * I MAKE LIFE EASY
 * SHINY SCREENSHOTS

<FOOTNOTES START HERE>

Known Issues:
 * The GNOME 3 shell experience does not work over VNC or when the
desktop is run in a virtualised environment. In this situation you will
receive the GNOME 3 fallback experience*

<THE END>

* assuming that GNOME 3 fallback has been explained or defined earlier
in the release notes. If it has not, then perhaps that needs to be
fixed....

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

I have to say, I'm extremely hesitant to have anything like 'known
issues' or 'not recommend' in the release notes. This document will be
quoted by the press and will seed many of the articles and news stories
about the release. Those in the press could (and probably would) pick up
these kind of statements and make stories out of them. That's not
something we want.

What we do have in the release notes is a statement which points out the
hardware acceleration requirement for 'the full GNOME 3 experience',
however. That mentions fallback mode.

Fallback and hardware acceleration also feature in the gnome3.org FAQ,
and we can add entries there for the virtual machine/VNC issues.

What is the potential damage of not mentioning VNC or virtual machines
in the release notes? I don't foresee a 'what no VNC?' uproar on the
horizon (I'm not saying we should or shouldn't have VNC support - I'm
just thinking about the marketing). Am I missing something?

Best,

Blog: http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/
IRC: aday on irc.gnome.org