Re: GNOME Plumbing [Was: GNOME Journal]

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 9:59 AM, Allan Day <allanpday gmail com> wrote:

The danger of a GNOME tweak tool is that it sends the message that GNOME
3 isn't appropriate or ready for some users or use-cases. We need to be
very clear - GNOME 3 is ready. It works without the need to tweak.
(People can install whatever they want on their machines, and they can
play around with them as they see fit, of course.)

OTOH, if we refrain from creating one, many tweak tools will pop. Sort
of what Ubuntu had a few years ago... and I bet still has: a bazillion
tools that do a lot of not-really-smart stuff to "tweak" and "enhance"
your desktop.

But of course, having such module means we will get a bug for
absolutely every configuration key in existence... which would make me
say that we don't really want the plumbing module.