Re: How to manage foundation navigation in gnome.org site

Good email, Andreas!

On Wed, 2011-06-29 at 01:34 +0200, Nisse wrote:
On 06/27/2011 06:45 PM, Yu Liansu wrote:

andreasn_ 2011年06月27日 23时47分15秒 wrote on irc:
so the two things I would like to see a good structure accomplish is:
1. Make all parts of the website feel less disconnected from each
other, and 2. Clutter the main site with too much organizational
structure about the project
and those two are hard to fix at the same time
We can integrate foundation site into the main navigation, e.g. in
"About Us" add a new section.
Out of the three options I think integrating the foundation site into
the main site under About Us is the best.
The reason for this is that the Foundation is just an implementation
detail of the project if you think about it.
For the actual navigation, I think a sidebar could work a lot better
than a subnav just beneath the main navigation, as we want to be careful
with making the header part to tall. If I recall correctly there is
already a page template on gnome.org for this.

For the actual menu, there is currently a lot of different items in the
foundation navigation sidebar on http://foundation.gnome.org I think we
can do some effort to reduce the number of pages there.

Yes, I agree. Some cleanup would be beneficial. Also, I totally agree
with the points below.

* About the foundation - this duplicates some of the info on the other
pages and can to some extent be merged with the first page
* Blog - this could be considered as of our news story that Allan
mentioned in his last e-mail
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/marketing-list/2011-June/msg00044.html

If we do want to have news on the Foundation page, I would suggest
having a feed from the Foundation Blog rather than creating YANS (Yet
Another News Source).

* Reports - not foundation specific, but actually more of a project-wide
thing
* Membership - pretty ok

These are mostly guidelines for people who want to become a member. It
might help if the page were labeled accordingly.

We might want also want to consider expanding the members list into a
more generic 'GNOME People' page. This is something I've been thinking
about recently. I've created some mockups to show what I mean [1, 2].

* Election - Wiki material?
* Legal - part of a bigger legal page perhaps?

Rewriting this page has been on my to do list for a while... one day, maybe. :)

* Finance - Wow, this is really outdated.
* Contact - merge into http://www.gnome.org/contact/ ?
* Press - we already link to that elsewhere
* Donate - same as above. We could actually promote that on the
gnome.org frontpage. That gets a lot more views.

We also have this now - http://www.gnome.org/support-gnome/

Allan

[1]
https://gitorious.org/gnome-design/gnome-design/blobs/raw/master/www/gnome.org/people/people.png