Re: Pre-release marketing and community management [Was: getting www.gnome3.org]

On Jan 6, 2011, at 5:00 PM, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:

> Olav did something similar
> for Lefty on the foundation-list.  That is a good example of managing
> the mailing list.

I think it's a really bad example, actually. How much disruption was
caused by people on foundation-list before any action was taken? Far too
much I would say.

Well you really can't over moderate foundation list.  Those people are well part of the foundation and our audience to some extent.  They are on there because they've made some contribution in some way.

Stormy has warned Lefty before over private mail.  A public beating was warranted.

For heaven's sake, _please_ leave me out of your "how can we keep the little people from being so gosh-darned disruptive?"-fest.

If you'd like to discuss an essentially chronic passive-aggressive situation where messages espousing the "free software movement"-approved terminology from Mr. Stallman (messages which everyone privately admits are disruptive, but suggests should simply be universally ignored, because, "well, that's just _Richard_") are somehow just fine, but messages suggesting that people actually take the time to critically examine that position must be banned, I'm certainly game. If that's not what you're after, than perhaps you'd best try another tack to support your position.

Feel free to moderate me here, as well, for insufficient zeal—thereby essentially demonstrating my point for me—but if you feel impelled to do so, at least do me the courtesy of leaving me out of your ill-considered examples in the future. Thanks for your ongoing consideration.