Re: Pre-release marketing and community management [Was: getting www.gnome3.org]

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 8:41 AM, Dave Neary <dneary gnome org> wrote:
Hi,

Stormy Peters wrote:
> It seems like we need two things:
> 1) a website to speak to the world (our our community) about GNOME 3.0 -
> that's gnome3.org <http://gnome3.org>
> 2) a place for all those interested in helping with community management
> to share stories and ideas - is that this list?

Just to avoid a Vizzini & Inigo Montoya moment later on [1], can I just
ask: what do people here mean when they talk about "community management"?

I think in this case, we want to be a buffer between devs and enthusiasts.  In general, I want to address the frustration devs feel with having to continually defend design decisions by people who fear change.  By continuing to address them and to focus on positive aspects of the Gnome shell design.  In addition, we can also perhaps turn shrill user enthusiasts to hopefully people who will contribute positively.

But my motivation is really to get people off devs back so that they can focus on getting the design done.  And since you decide to give a video response. I have one in turn. :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdc7v4vkbJI