Re: Marketing Hackfest feedback

--- El vie, 23/4/10, Bharat Kapoor <3 kapoor gmail com> escribió:

De: Bharat Kapoor <3 kapoor gmail com>
Asunto: Marketing Hackfest feedback
Para: "GNOME Marketing List" <marketing-list gnome org>
Fecha: viernes, 23 de abril, 2010 05:21

Hi Guys

I may be a little late with my post but I think we still have time to act on a few things I feel maybe important.

If you guys want I can post them in wiki - but it would help if some decision were made on the mail list.

Goals:

Meet with local government to create long term partnership
My comments:
  • Can we dig a little into their motivations before we even show up in Spain - happy to take the lead if you can put me in touch with the right contact (or I can dig)
    • Do they want Gnome - where, how and why

Meet with local users
  • Should we use this opportunity to develop these users (not developers) into our cheerleaders
  • And then this pilot can be scaled to other hackfests & conferences
  • I feel this could enhance your vision of getting users involved (from donations to any other engagement)
  • How - I have no clue?
  • Is this even our goal or am I on a different tangent?
Zaragoza is very active in the promotion of Free Software.
Success:
Established relationships with local government
  • Can we define it further - have specific goals e.g. get Zaragoza govt to install Ubuntu with Gnome on 1000 PCs by end of 2010 (I am just saying)
Well, the  Zaragoza city has its own distribution called AZLinux (It is an customized opensuse-based distro). And yes, they use GNOME on the desktop. They are using this distribution for all their employees of the town administration. They have their own migration roadmap and AFAIK it is very advanced.