Re: promoting good gnome apps via news.gnome.org

On Sat, 2009-06-13 at 11:01 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
Actually, the original idea I had about this is to do away with our
platform (eg the apps that make gnome.. after all the whole thing is a
distro decision these days anyways)  Instead we would promote them via
adsense and drive traffic to these apps thus using them as marketing
tools.  That might make people work harder to get themselves into
compliance in a particular niche.

I agree to the idea that we would not need an default "GNOME
applications" package. A list of suggested apps would be sufficient.

But spending money on an Adsense campaign would be wasted.

Look at the Rhythmbox homepage, for an example: From a sales point of
view, the page is simply bad. It mentions no benefits. It triggers no
curiosity to find out more. There's no social proof. There's no
call-to-action.

Even if there would be a call-to-action: What would it be about?
Download the tarball and compile yourself?

As long as application developers fail to understand how important a
decentralized installer is for marketing, promoting their apps or even
improving their homepages is basically just a waste of time.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but that's just the way it is.

Best regards,
Claus