Re: Marketing Brief

This looks good! I especially like how it's formulated. I guess the
paper should serve as an overview to others?

I have three suggestions for improvement (two my typical ones):

1.) Mention GNOME's different products.

At least, the desktop and dev platform should be mentioned. We might
also add mobile platform and "GNOME applications", that is: applications
"owned" by GNOME. Sure, they are all somehow connected. But it's an
mistake to create the impression that these are all "one thing" since
each needs it's own appoach of marketing.

2.) Explain the relationships between "stakeholders".

The relationship

  "GNOME > Distribution > OEM > Customer"

is very similar to the one of a typical sales chain:

  "Producer > Wholesale > Retail > Customer".

This has also implications for marketing. Strictly speaking, we'd need
to segment each part of the chain. It's also important that some of our
products can bypass parts of the chain: applications, most importantly.
[1]

(Side note remark: Good thing to mention OEMs. We didn't very often yet.
Wouldn't it be cool to have a GNOME x.0 special edition laptop one
day? :-D )

3.) Explain the diffusion process [2]

People are different in their reaction to new technology. Additionally,
nearly all are risk-averse, some just less then others. This has
important implications for our marketing, since the GNOME desktop is
best suited for the "Late Majority" and "Laggards" but it's hard to
reach these groups (they are not accessible to us).

Best regards,
Claus

[1] http://live.gnome.org/GnomeScienceCD for a potential example
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffusion_of_innovations