Re: Cultural Issue with the Foot Logo

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 7:39 PM, Sharuzzaman Ahmat Raslan
<sharuzzaman gmail com> wrote:

I come from Malaysia. I do understand about the cultural issue regarding
foot in people  especially in the South East Asia area.

Currently, from my observation, there is no setback from people in Malaysia
with the usage of foot as GNOME logo. Most of the people that are interested
to use GNOME did not really care about the foot logo, but some do ask
question why foot was chosen as the logo.

Thanks for the information. Actually, I think people who are willing to
accept GNOME can accept its logo. But the problem I've been facing
is about introducing it to people who are totally new. And I'd say,
almost *everyone* I introduce GNOME to asks me the question, with
different levels of reactions. And repeatedly answering the question
over time becomes too much for me. I think I'm more happy to answer
technical or philosophical questions instead.

As for alternative of the foot logo, maybe GNOME team can come up with a
simple "G" logo, that can be used for community that thinks foot is not nice
to associated with.

The same logo can then be used in the user interface, documentation, or
other material when you are trying to introduce GNOME to them.

Thanks for supporting the alternative logo, and for the suggestion.

Regards,
--
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan
http://linux.thai.net/~thep/