Re: GNOME vs Windows

Stormy:

- Because free software is low cost, using it can save money and
  make the desktop affordable to people and organizations who otherwise
  couldn't afford a proprietary solution.

- Because it is accessible and translated into many languages (including
  3rd world languages), it opens the door for users in regions that are
  not well supported by proprietary solutions, and for users with
  specific needs.

  Note that Linux meets Section 508 requirements out-of-the-box while
  on Windows or Mac you need to purchase additional software if you
  want disabled people to actually use the machine.

  On the other hand, a11y is more mature on Windows and there tends
  to be gaps on Linux/UNIX (e.g. there is no good dictation software
  yet available).  However, if users don't need particular features
  which are missing on Linux/UNIX, then it is much cheaper to go with
  a free software solution.  Plus, over time, we are slowly catching
  up with the Windows state-of-the-art.

- Because the source code is developed in the open, it is easier for
  end-users to get involved with supporting and improving the code to
  meet their needs.  End users can also review the code to make sure
  that it is acceptable to them.

- Using free software and open file standards ensures that users and
  organizations have full access and control over their data.  If they
  want to migrate to different applications, this can be done.  You
  can't get "locked into" a proprietary format for accessing your data,
  if you use free software and open file standards.  Free software is
  a good choice for any organization that doesn't want to be under
  the thumb of a proprietary company, or a foreign company.  Some
  governments around the world encourage free software for this very
  reason.  Germany, I believe, is an example.  Also, China.

- The Free Software model of doing work in the open with peer review
  fits well with the way work is done in academia.  So, academic
  organizations would benefit from supporting software that encourages
  users to get involved academically.  It is, for example, a good
  platform for schools to teach how to write software since students
  can get directly involved with actually fixing real problems instead
  of solving "toy problems".

- The Free Software model encourages companies to share resources and
  work together when doing things like creating standards.  While some
  companies don't like the idea of sharing the family jewels, many
  organizations seem to work well when they find the right balance of
  working with their peers.  Working in Free Software can help to
  encourage good ways of working together, and companies can focus
  their attention up the stack where they can add more value to their
  end products.

- I'd be careful about making claims about Security.  While it is true
  that UNIX and Linux tend to be more secure than Windows, this is
  mainly because malicious hackers tend to target Windows and their
  larger user base.  There are likely issues in free software that could
  be exploited as well by viruses.  The main reason free software can
  claim to be more secure is that the open software development model
  encourages code review and discourages bad security design.

Brian

I just had an interview with the HowSoftwareIsBuilt.com guys. One of their questions was why GNOME is better than KDE. I said we aren't trying to compete with KDE and so on, so they asked the next obvious questions, why is GNOME better than Windows.

I answered with a couple of points but wondered if others had thoughts to contribute:
1) Free and open source
2) Updates with new functionality come out sooner
3) Access to developers, forums, mailing lists, etc when you have problems
4) More customizable from a functionality perspective as well as a look and feel perspective
5) Warmer/friendlier feeling (I tried to describe this.)
6) More apps (that don't cost extra money)
7) ....

FYI, I'm doing this not so we can go around talking about how we are better than Windows but so that we can emphasize and talk about the things that we do best.

Best,

Stormy

P.S. HowSoftwareIsBuilt.com is always looking for more interviewees, so if you know someone you think would make a good interview topic, let me (or them) know.