Re: Finding case studies in the wiki

Am Thu, 27 Mar 2008 09:51:28 +0100
schrieb Dave Neary <dneary free fr>:

Can anyone tell me the shortest navigation path to get to the GNOME
case studies, please? I did find a link to
http://live.gnome.org/MarketingTeam/ExistingGnomeDeployments which
doesn't exist, but proposed

Well that page was redirected 2006 - I suggest to follow development
more closely. If you find a page that still linke to it please rather
change the linking page.

I dont think thats a good idea. Because every redirect is resulting in
title search results, with the same content. Which makes finding pages
a mess. Otherwise we will end up having thousands or more redirects.

This movement of pages happened 2006, not 2008. I have tried to change
all links I found, but as the theme doesnt support listing all links
any more that was a bit uncomfortable (showing this requires a
clickable title which can be seen on "modern" theme).

I did the redirects just now, so that should be shortened to 5 clicks
from 7 now.

No you increase the clicks. Because people who search for a title find
now a lot more pages with the same content - so like you have 4 REAL
pages you now get 8 pages - but people need to click and read all 8
which increases time a lot.

Also please note that when you click Info
http://live.gnome.org/action/info/MarketingTeam/ExistingGnomeDeployments?action=info
you can list when changes were made and there you can see like in this
Diff:
http://live.gnome.org/action/info/MarketingTeam/ExistingGnomeDeployments?action=diff&rev2=40&rev1=39
that I added the redirect 2006

I would appreciate in general if the reorganisation of information in
the wiki was done with some kind of method,

The problem I see is that many people added a lot of pages without
making the content and structure transparent. I think different
priorities can be set very easy like by changing the header
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing/MarketingHeader

or the contents http://live.gnome.org/GnomeMarketing

I would prefer, for example, the "Market research"
link, which features prominently on the team page, to point to the
bit of research which we have already done

Question is to who you want to talk to on these pages. I would
recommend that the entry page gives primary information for starters
and not insiders that know most content anyway. Instead link to other
pages that might work better for specific content like research. So a
user who wants to start with marketing might not start or work on the
research - but the researches need to have some pages where they can
collaborate best. But if they would design the marketing entry page
would mean that no new user would be able to get a start.

Thilo

--
Thilo Pfennig - PfennigSolutions IT-Beratung- Wiki-Systeme
Sandkrug 28 - 24143 Kiel (Germany)