Re: Gnomefiles.org

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 00:43 -0700, Eugenia Loli-Queru wrote:
Thank you for the reply.

For now, I would like to a fix for this page:
http://www.gnome.org/softwaremap/
that wrongly says that we "do not clearly identify some software that is not
free or open source." This is not true you see, we made more prominent the
difference in the license in 2006 when the Gnome guys of the time asked us
to do so in this very mailing list.

It does indeed now seem to use clear wording, for instance, on vmware.
Thanks. Of course RMS could strike at any time with more precise
demands.

So I've changed the text on that page. I've kept the text about GNOME
not endorsing GnomeFiles.org because _I_ doubt that we'd want "official"
infrastructure to be using closed source software on servers that we
can't admin. It is closed source, right?

Then, maybe a link somewhere more prominently would be good, because now a
user has to click 3 times to get to the page that links to our site, and
that's from a page that has way too many links anyways. Maybe a more
prominent link somewhere would do the job, there's no need for a full banner
IMHO.

Yeah. http://www.gnome.org/softwaremap/ used to be directly linked from
a right-hand vertical menu. Where is it even linked from now?

--
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com