Re: Issuing a press release about GNOME 3

Le jeudi 17 juillet 2008, à 15:40 +0200, Dave Neary a écrit :
So, release team, opinions? I understand that Luis's rant (sorry Luis)
may have been deflating

?othing related to Luis in my lack of reply -- just a general lack of
time :/ I'll reply to Luis because I think he's raising things that
other people might think too. Just need to find time to do all this.

but I'm giving a lightning presentation on the
State of GNOME at OSCon next week, and the 3.0 thing is bound to come up
- I'd *really* like to be able to say something along the lines of "2
years between major releases, 6 month between incremental releases, and
we've started the first cycle of that already - the release team is
working with maintainers & community to plan the major arc of features
for 3.0".

So, here's what you can say, in my opinion:

 + this is only a proposal (still discussed within the community)
 + this is only a proposal (details might change)
 + this is an evolution, not a revolution
 + 2.5 years between major releases (although it's probably best to say
   2-3 years)
 + these longer cycles are also used to help contributors focus on a few
   key areas
 + we love the 6 months development cycle. It's been fantastic. We
   definitely want to keep it.
 + people should compare GNOME 3.0 with GNOME 2.20 and not GNOME 2.28.
 + (probably many other things)

I think it's too premature to say that this has been accepted, because
many people were not at GUADEC and haven't been able to comment. I
understand why you'd like to say so, though.

PS. I'm still unclear about what opening the big tent means exactly -
does it mean having a number of criteria, and any application meeting
those criteria becomes part of GNOME? Does that imply abandoning the
release sets?

Yes and yes. Still unsure how doable this is, but that's the idea.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.