Re: On distro users feedback

On 9/27/07, Calum Benson <Calum Benson sun com> wrote:

On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 23:14 +0300, Lucas Rocha wrote:

I have some ideas about how to make this happen but I'd like to know
the opinion of you, marketing fellows, first. My first-step-plan is to
(maybe) schedule an IRC meeting with members of GNOME Packaging Team
and other people involved with the distro communities to discuss some
ideas and know what they think.

I've always wondered if maybe we need a dedicated 'user feedback' squad
along the lines of the bug squad... a single point of contact (well, a
single group of people) to whom user feedback from all sources is
channeled[1], who would then rationalise it and organise it into
something that would form the basis of a prioritised list of user
requirements for each release.

My thinking was always that this was part of the role of the bugsquad,
since you can't do a good job processing bugs without understanding
user needs, project priorities, etc., Or to put it another way- if
bugsquad doesn't have a lot of the same skills as a hypothetical
userfeedbacksquad, it isn't a very good bugsquad.

But I'd agree that in practice this hasn't always been the case, and
recruiting methods for the different groups would probably be
radically different (even if they *should* be the same.)

Luis