Re: About The GNOME Mobile & Embedded Initative

On 4/23/07, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote:
<quote who="Joachim">

> Jeff, your communications would sound more sincere and less glib if you
> stopped loading them with meaningless words like 'rock' 'awesome' and the
> like.

Tough. That's the way I talk.

Fair enough. I suppose that's just a cultural difference between us, because to me those sorts of words make me think what I'm hearing is buzzword laden bullshit that dodges the issues at hand. But that's one of the unique parameter we have to work with, right?

> Because someone -- I forget who, can't see to check, hate mailing lists,
> pointed out the marketing team has no mandate. Maybe it needs one?

So you're asking for a 'mandate' without having a definition of such, and
don't really know why? C'mon, seriously.

No, what I was asking was for the board and perhaps the whole of Gnome to say whether it needs a marketing team, and what it wants it to do. Because maybe it doesn't -- recent actions seem to suggest this -- and if that's the case, it would be good to know. So I can remove myself from a mailing list at least.

For the record, anyway, I'm only on this list because Quim asked me to help with wgo. I suck at marketing because I'm a crap liar.
I can't write "Gnome is a forward-thinking project led by a dynamic community" because it's not true -- it's a very loose agglomeration of people with very different ideas, who doing a variety of things that either fit together or don't, it's a heap of mostly half-baked projects that only get so far off the ground, and the whole thing somehow manages to vaguely stumble along from release to release with no real coherence. And I don't think that's what should go on the wgo About page.
So I don't think I'm the person to write the material for the new wgo, as I lack skills and now the motivation too.

I don't expect everyone in the GNOME community to give the marketing team a
heads up when they're going to do something cool. It should *ABSOLUTELY NOT*
be an expectation of the marketing team.

See what I said above. If you want a marketing team, treat it as such. If not, that's fine too. But let us know either way.