Re: About The GNOME Mobile & Embedded Initative

<quote who="Joachim">

Jeff, your communications would sound more sincere and less glib if you
stopped loading them with meaningless words like 'rock' 'awesome' and the
like.

Tough. That's the way I talk.

Because someone -- I forget who, can't see to check, hate mailing lists,
pointed out the marketing team has no mandate. Maybe it needs one?

So you're asking for a 'mandate' without having a definition of such, and
don't really know why? C'mon, seriously.

As I see it, the major task facing the marketing team at the moment is
getting the new wgo website up.

I understand what Quim was trying to do with this, but I don't think there's
any real advantage to making this a marketing team project. It needs the
focus of a tight, trusted team to put it together, define standards and make
it participatory once the basics are complete. Cacophony doesn't get things
done.

This involves writing stuff about what Gnome is and what it does. And yet
you've just gone and changed that quite substantially without bothering to
give us a heads up.

Changed? Okay, mobile/embedded has been on the agenda since at least 1999,
probably before, it had a resurgence in 2003/2004, and it's now an obvious
part of the GNOME ecosystem. GNOME Mobile is recognition, support and some
good promotion, not change.

I don't expect everyone in the GNOME community to give the marketing team a
heads up when they're going to do something cool. It should *ABSOLUTELY NOT*
be an expectation of the marketing team.

- Jeff

--
Open CeBIT 2007: Sydney, Australia              http://www.opencebit.com.au/

   "You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to
       walk away, and know when to run." - Kenny Rogers, The Gambler