Re: GNOME Logo Branding Guidelines Concerns

On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 08:56 -0500, Luis Villa wrote:
I would leave this up to the brand experts, but I have to disagree
with you here, Quim- as long as it is identifiably GNOME, people
should be encouraged to 'own' the brand and make it their own. If that
means customizing it for their country/team/whatever, great.

I think we're still in the position where the GNOME brand isn't really
strong enough to justify that strict a stance; I agree with Luis.

Where I would agree with Quim - allowing people to do whatever they like
with it is not necessarily great; we should probably point out some
preferred customisations based on the GNOME brand.

I would extend that out beyond just websites: it continues to pain me
that within most distributions (Debian aside?) the GNOME logo isn't on
the desktop. On my current desktop, I have the Ubuntu logo and "About
Ubuntu" in the System menu; as a non-technical user I would have no idea
what "GNOME" referred to, even though I have an "About GNOME" too.

It would be great to have a brand which could be customised by various
stakeholders, yet still be recognisably GNOME.

Cheers,

Alex.