[Fwd: Idea: optional info "about" Gnome Friends]

--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

I've just been browsing the gnome.org site (I think for the first time).
I'm very impressed (with ver 2.14 as well).  I had an idea.

I think recognition of Friends is great - we all like to be appreciated
and this is a great way.  How about offering Friends the option of listing
something about themselves e.g.
o home location (encouraged)
o a few words about interests
o a url or email addr (preferable: url to page that has email)

All this would be limited to what could be displayed on one line in
columns (that were retained when captured) for sorting.  Remember all is
optional.

A couple thought on displaying of Friends **
It might be nice to be able to list all friends in one page (till that
becomes impractical :) with a tag for what years they contributed at what
level.  Having this sortable by locaion would be neat.  If all years are
not in one page some way to search all would be nice.

** Note that you seem to be using "Friends" to ways:
All who contibute any amount
Those who contibute up to $25

One last thought, the folks who work on Gnome as volunteers deserve
recognition as well.  Maybe monitary contributors and work contibutors
could be recognised in an integrated list.  Of course some are both.

I lied, on more last (blue sky) thought.  Gnome is not the only OSS
project that people can contibute ($ or wk) to and it is unreasonable to
expect any one person to contribute much ($ or wk) to multiple / many
deserving projects.  Therefore maybe someday there could be an integrated
OSS member / $ or work contributor recognition system.

I lied again, one last even bluer sky idea.  OSS is only one part of
a bunch of alternative better visions for the world to which people can
volunterr $ and work.  Maybe someday we cna have an even broader
recognition system.

BTW in my chosen volunteer field ( Communications for Justice -
http://justcomm.org (using Mailman for good causes)), I dream of someday
having some kind of "validated community participant" system that many
different discussion and announcement systems etc could share the
validation we now do usually on a per list basis (thru subscribe /
confirmation email / response to complete subscription).  This would allow
one to choose what to participate in with a simple checkbox from a page
(heirarchy of pages) once they had logged with their validated community
participant (VCP) username and password.  This came to mind since the
consolidated contributor system and the VCP sysem might be usefully
integrated.  Obviously there are many challenges including privacy and
trust issues. But one needs a vision. Dream on.

Sorry this message got way out of hand...  Feel free to forward it to
whomever if you feel appropriate.
or refer them to the blog version I decided to make -
http://fholson.cohousing.org/blog/index.htm#g7h

Keep up the good work.

Fred

Communications for Justice - My new listserv org.       UU, Linux
My Link Page: http://fholson.cohousing.org       Ham radio:WB0YQM
fholson at cohousing.org   612-588-9532   (7am-10pm Central time)