Re: wgo revamp timeline (proposal)

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 21:28 +0200, Christian Rose wrote:
(Please keep marketing-list cc:ed)

/me blames evo

Ideally, there should be a minimum of efforts required to translate
www.gnome.org -- if translating or enabling a particular translation
requires sysadmin intervention, we simply won't have much (current)
translated content at all.

Honestly I'm not really sure having translated website is such a good
idea.  What I think is good though is having per-language "corners",
better clearly separated through the URL (fa.gnome.org or gnome.org/fa
for example.  The latter is easier.)  and let the language team publish
their own content there, instead of trying to catch up translations of a
moving target.  Of course, things like press releases or announcements
are and will be translated.

We've reiterated this "localized content" discussion over and over for
several years, and the consensus has always been that official content
on www.gnome.org should have translations, while localized content
provided by local communities belong on other local community sites.
There are any number of reasons for this decision. The most recent
time this was reiterated was on GUADEC.

Understood.

Is there something in particular about this decision that you dislike?

My only problem is that a local community cannot easily register and
host a domain name without a single point-of-failure/bottleneck, so, as
long as we are offering communities some local space, I'm fine with
that.

Christian
--
behdad