Re: Notes about the release notes

Le jeudi 24 août 2006, à 19:49, Claus Schwarm a écrit :
Hi, all!

This is my usual (yearly) request to restructure the way we present the
items in our relase notes -- after all, they should make clear why the
release matters.

Looks good :-)
Some comments:

Front feature
-------------

 (This is a special class: If there's anything in the amount of changes
that could belong to a certain major topic, it should be featured here!

 For example, the last release had many changes that improved
performance, so these changes could have been be featured here. This is
a desperate way of justifying headlines such as "GNOME 2.14 improves
performance."

 A potential topic for this year could be "Eyecandy".)

 * Something happened with icons
 * Transperacy in the Terminal
 * Compositor stuff in Metacity
 * new wanda icon in gnome-panel

 (Another one could be 'C#')

I'd go with eyecandy, but I think it's important to note that it's an
ongoing work, and that more will come in 2.18.

Page 2: Extended funtionality:
------------------------------
[snip]

 * Tomboy

It's important to note that it replaces the sticky notes in our mind,
which is still available for some time.

[snip]

 * gtk filechooser location button thingy

Might be interesting to add a note that it was added because users
requested it.

 * orca as screenreader is better than what we had before (since it can
   be adapted for each software, iirc)

[snip]

Performance improvments
-----------------------
 * Nautilus has improved startup performance; uses less memory while
   thumbnailing
 * ?

Evolution was improved wrt performance too.

Code cleanups and backend improvements:
---------------------------------------

 * C#
 * Improved printing support (Ephiphany, Yelp, any others?)
 * Unicode 5.0 support.
 * GDM: No longer use popt in favor of glib's GOption command line
parsing. IMPORTANT: Users who depend on the single dash options will
need to change to use the non-deprecated double-dash options.
 * Unmaintained themes removed: rand-Canyon, Ocean-Dream, Simple &
Smokey-Blue, Traditional
 * Unmaintained engines removed: Lighthouseblue and Metal engines

 * GTK+ 2.10, with some interesting new features
 * start of deprecation of libgnomeprint/libgnomeprintui
 * gnopernicus has been replaced by orca

Feedback welcome. I offer to write the text down to a number of WDTM?
and WDID? [1], because I don't run a development snapshot. I can't make
screenshots, nor move it to docbook. Some changes need some explantion,
so I need a developer as well. And I'll probably need  someone to
proof-read from a factual point of view, as well as from a grammar
point of view.

I can help for the explanations. Go go go!

Thanks,

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.