Re: Notes about the release notes

Good thoughts, my +1.

Where are yoy going to write the notes? I think it is good to have the
drafts in the wiki, due to time constraints and better revision. Once
the drafts are ok, then move the texts to the next destination.

You can modify
http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointFifteen/ReleaseNotes#head-6389bd7caa86591057b77ee81f92a3eed2b186ab and start
working there. Please put a big bold header in each draft page saying clearly this is a draft.

El dj 24 de 08 del 2006 a les 19:49 +0200, en/na Claus Schwarm va
escriure:
Hi, all!

This is my usual (yearly) request to restructure the way we present the
items in our relase notes -- after all, they should make clear why the
release matters.

A rationale for this kind of approach is available from Kathy Sierra,
see her "Crash Course in Learning Theory: "Use "chunking" to reduce
cognitive overhead.":

http://headrush.typepad.com/creating_passionate_users/2006/01/crash_course_in.html

Here it starts:

Front feature
-------------

 (This is a special class: If there's anything in the amount of changes
that could belong to a certain major topic, it should be featured here!

 For example, the last release had many changes that improved
performance, so these changes could have been be featured here. This is
a desperate way of justifying headlines such as "GNOME 2.14 improves
performance."

 A potential topic for this year could be "Eyecandy".)

 * Something happened with icons
 * Transperacy in the Terminal
 * Compositor stuff in Metacity
 * new wanda icon in gnome-panel

 (Another one could be 'C#')

 (OK, the following classes are basically standard: We should always be
able to put a change into one of them. In general, this should promote
GNOME as a whole, not each module. I've used a selection of items from
the wiki list to give you an idea how this could be sorted.)

Page 2: Extended funtionality:
------------------------------

If you're running a laptop, have problems finding free space on your
hard disks, loose overview on your menu items, or spend too much time
online to download videos (ehm, ok: the last one might lead to funny
jokes), you'll be happy to upgrade to GNOME 2.16:

There's a new module called GNOME Power manager that will let
you ...

 // image about here

Menu editing just got even more easier. The old menu editor was
replaced with a new one, called Alacarte. Alacarte is already known to
Ubuntu users: ...

 // image about here

(You get the idea.)

 * New in GNOME Utils! Baobab, a disk usage analysis tool.
 * Tomboy
 * Totem: Numerous Web Browser plugin improvements
          o Audio playback support
          o QuickTime, Windows Media Player and Real Player skins
          o Playlist support
 * Totem: Subtitle encoding selection
 * Totem: Removed DXR3 and GStreamer 0.8 support (worth mentioning?)
 * Totem: Use HAL for CD and DVD detection
 * Totem: XSPF playlist support (read/write), Quicktime Metalink (read)
 * Nautilus CD Burner: Support for writing DVDs on the fly (without
ISO).
 * GNOME-Screensaver: fullscreen preview
 * Evince: Support for attachments in PDF
 * gtk filechooser location button thingy
 * Evolution: Support for GroupWise Reminder Notes (Ehm, is that
   important?)
 * File-roller: Shows an emblem for password protected files 152039

Ongoing efforts to make GNOME easier:
-------------------------------------

 * Bug-buddy: interface cleaned up -- a lot
 * Nautilus: New permission dialog with recursion and selinux support
 * Gnome-panel: new dialog to edit launchers. It's really better.
 * Evolution : http://blogs.gnome.org/view/sragavan/2006/07/19/0 (?)
 * EyeOfGnome: Collection Panel and UI Rework (?)
 * Totem: Properties dialogue is now in the sidebar (Worth mentioning?)

Performance improvments
-----------------------
 * Nautilus has improved startup performance; uses less memory while
   thumbnailing
 * ?

Code cleanups and backend improvements:
---------------------------------------

 * C#
 * Improved printing support (Ephiphany, Yelp, any others?)
 * Unicode 5.0 support.
 * GDM: No longer use popt in favor of glib's GOption command line
parsing. IMPORTANT: Users who depend on the single dash options will
need to change to use the non-deprecated double-dash options.
 * Unmaintained themes removed: rand-Canyon, Ocean-Dream, Simple &
Smokey-Blue, Traditional
 * Unmaintained engines removed: Lighthouseblue and Metal engines

Looking forward to GNOME 2.18
-----------------------------

 * The usual infos about 2.18 here but also include the paragraphs from
'Getting involved' -- there's no sense in 'Call to action' when people
can circumvent it by not clicking a link.

Feedback welcome. I offer to write the text down to a number of WDTM?
and WDID? [1], because I don't run a development snapshot. I can't make
screenshots, nor move it to docbook. Some changes need some explantion,
so I need a developer as well. And I'll probably need  someone to
proof-read from a factual point of view, as well as from a grammar
point of view.

Cheers,
Claus

[1] What does it mean? What does it do?