Re: WGO structure

Hi,

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 15:55:51 +0100 (BST)
Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com> wrote:

I've finished work on condensing the different drafts,
and following some feedback from Quim, it's on the
wiki:

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/NewWgoStructure

We cannot do it like this, IHMO.

The structure lacks a portal for third-party developers: This is
GNOME's most important product. The desktop has no real selling points
unless lots of third-party dev's use the dev. platform. (Example: If
you spend 90% of your time in OpenOffice, hunting OK buttons, you
don't mind much about the usability of some dialogs that you use once
a year!)

We don't need a whole portal for contributors. Contributors cannot be
convinced by a few web pages. They grow slowly into helping. And most of
them are hardcore enthusiasts and geeks, anyway, so they can deal with
live.gnome.org as a portal for contributors.

Additionally, the sub-projects change their policy so often that wgo
would be outdated almost always.

Next, I'm not quite sure whether it makes sense to sort gnomefiles and
art.gnome site by site to the LiveCD, the release notes, and the
sources. I'd probably be not very happy about the location if I'd be the
maintainer of one of these sites. However: Since I'm not ... ;-)

We really need to remove the contributors section and move the old
development section back in.

Cheers,
Claus