Re: www.gnome.org - content, scope, structure

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 21:00 -0600, Gezim Hoxha wrote:
On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 15:00 +0100, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
I've signed up for two of the goals for 2.16, because
they're closely related:

Here are my thoughts:

I think no one should need to scroll in WGO page (with current page I
have 1200px height and I still have to scroll (a wee bit)). It's meant
to be a gateway and you're not supposed to spend too much time on the
index page. I think it should be separated into 3 sections, maybe using
tabs and allowing users to change from "user" to "developer" to
"business" (like http://www.suse.org does) or using images (maybe kind
of like http://www.redhat.com has the 3 images).

I'd rather scroll a bit than click around. I really hate those docs
(converted usually from docbook) where each chapter is half a paragraph
on it's own page... Imagine you'd have to click for each post on planet
gnome, brrr :)

Splitting it up in sections is underway [1]. It's a bit understaffed
effort, you could help out!

On top of these these tabs or images, we could have a flashy press
release or promo page or whatever you want to call it, for one of our
gnome "products" (why shouldn't we call them products?).

I think two things lacking in the current gnome page is flashy images
and no attention is paid to developers and businesses. Since businesses
usually have a huge following (employees), a business converting would
mean so many people being exposed to gnome. So, I think we need to take
advantage of that.

My vote is definitely against flashy images. IMHO it's distracting,
unprofessional, and hard to maintain.

As far as developers, I don't think we're paying much attention to them.
I think the dev*.gnome.org page is a joke. We have a lot of work to do.

Agreed. See library.gnome.org [2] effort.

Onto a little different topic, there is no reason people shouldn't know
about the gnome brand. It completely shocked me when almost all of the
student in my marketing class put up their hand when the prof asked who
had heard of intel. People should know about gnome too, at the very
least people using linux should know gnome.
They've been around for quite some time now, have a huge budget, and a
processor in pretty much everybody's computer (branded or compatible).
That said, I totally agree with the second part :) On a second thought,
I hope some people will just not have to care whether they have gnome,
if they don't want to. I couldn't care less what software runs on my
microwave, and I'm a geek :)

Anyway, those are my thoughts.
Thanks for your input!

Greg