wgo homepage (was Re: www.gnome.org - content, scope, structure)

Thanks Gezim for your ideas about the wgo homepage. I have picked them
and I have listed them at http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/NewWgoStructure
("Homepage") together with some more ideas that were at
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/LooknFeel

We need to build a sensible proposal for the homepage with these ideas.

El dv 04 de 08 del 2006 a les 21:00 -0600, en/na Gezim Hoxha va
escriure:

I think no one should need to scroll in WGO page

Yes, it would be nice to have a homepage without scrolls (for the rest
of pages scroll is ok if needed, as Greg points out). Although it would
be good to have a homepage worth to check frequently. I mean, not a
nicely splashy, fully static homepage.

I think it should be separated into 3 sections, maybe using
tabs and allowing users to change from "user" to "developer" to
"business" (like http://www.suse.org does)

http://www.novell.com/linux/ provide tabs that, in fact, go to other
subsites. We have the primary navigation doing this, even if it's not
designed as tabs. In order to consider tabs for wgo sections we need to
see first what we have in the wgo sitemap.

 or using images (maybe kind
of like http://www.redhat.com has the 3 images).

This is almost a purely layout design choice since those images don't
identify sections but campaigns. Andreas Nilsson (who has been providing
the big splash images in gnome.org) and others are fans of this
graphic-block model. Myself I'm a little concerned about depending on
designers to update web content, specially the homepage (and now the wgo
homepage has an outdated splash image).

BTW, we still haven't got a designer.