Re: Tuxmagazine

On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 07:12:52PM +0200, Dave Neary wrote:

Hi,

Sriram Ramkrishna a écrit :
Dunno, but we do have our own magazine that we do have control
of the content for the most part.  I would be more interested in
getting these magazines to use our GNOME articles instead especially
if they are widely read. (people should step up to write articles too :P)

Most excellent idea!

Do we have someone (nudge, nudge Sri) getting contacts in magazines
around the world for magazine syndication?

Well I have a contact of one person.  When I was at OSCON last year,
I was able to talk to a guy who was from a UK linux magazine.
He said he wouldn't mind doing re-publishing articles, and he
wouldn't mind even paying people who write articles for GNOME
Journal to write good articles.

I'm really interested in pushing some of these articles to generic
magazines where we can reach our target audience.

I have also made some attempts to reach the GNU magazine folks
and the RedHat magazine folks.  But I have not been getting much
articles. (we'd have to manage who gets what though)

Eventually it would be kind of cool to do a "newswire" ala AP that
magazines could pick and choose articles that come down.

I have a contact in Linux Magazine France, who might be interested in
syndicating a translation of a GNOME article a month - I would need to
check up with him and get back to you. And I know Michael J. Hammel who
is the GIMP author for tuxmag. We also have some contacts with O'Reilly,
if it would be an idea to start a GNOME secton on the O'Reilly news site.

I think having these articles translated to magazines like these
is great.  I know that some artcles we have written have been
republished in Argentina.  We haven't been making a lot of noise
about stuff like this as perhaps we should.  People have been
appreciative of the articles that we have written.

Is there anyone willing to start building a list of contacts for things
like this, and spend some time knocking on magazine editors' inboxes?

Putting together a team would be kind of nice from each country
might be one way to do it.  Inviting magazines to attend GUADEC is
also another way to get them to come to you. :-)

really hate C++(1) :-)  Most of Europe is using it aren' they not?

Well, most of Gemany at least. But just look at the map of GNOME
developers - we're very Euro-centric.

Yep..  Although the full time gnome folks are mostly in the U.S.