Re: Tuxmagazine

Heya,

"The fact is, however, that KDE has the largest market share, and that
means the majority of our readers probably use KDE most, or use only
KDE."

Is this true, though?

Online polls consistently give KDE a 2:1 advantage over GNOME, but that
is over the relatively small customer base of early-adopter alpha geeks
(or whatever they're called) - the people who read free software news
sites and things like that.

But it doesn't measure people using a free desktop at work, or in
telecenters, or atr school, who may not know they're using linux, and
certainly don't browse those sites that run online surveys on whether
you're using GNOME or KDE.

I don't know if there's anything that we can do to change that image, or
redress the bar, or even start changing that trend in online polls to
get it closer to 60/40 or even 50/50.

Don't get too worked up about the quote that I had above - that was
really just to incite people, and get a discussion started. I'm not so
much worried about the polls that they get their data from. I'm more
worried about the content and quality of the GNOME articles - is this
something that we can have some sort of influence over?

It is a little worrying that an online magazine is almost ignoring GNOME...

Still, we didn't do too badly with GIMP, Rhythmbox, Gaim and Totem
articles in there.

Well, rhythmbox, gaim and totem got 1 page each... It's better than it
could have been, but still. It really does seem like they're a KDE magazine.

Why is that? Why are 99% of the Linux magazines out there KDE based?
Seems like there are important questions to answer for the marketing
group.

Glynn