Re: gnome desktop personas - my very first draft

On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 07:52 +0100, Quim Gil wrote:

En/na John Williams ha escrit:
I have just posted a message about this.  If we are going to vote, I
want to nominate

It was just a rethoric, countless vote.  :)

I was only saying critique like yours to the personas project was
appropriate, but lacking suggestions about what could we do to improve
it or what should we do instead.
Sorry, I thought that I had.  It seems that my posts to the marketing list are not getting through somehow.
Your point is taken, and I apologise.

IMO voting in small teams on specific issues is the best way to avpid
consensus and promote division. In order to reach consensus in these
environments, a much better practice is to state if your opposition is a
blocking one (you disagree even if you are in a minority position) or is
a fair play one (you disagree and you won't join, but if a majority
seems to think it's appropriate, go ahead).
You are entirely correct.  For the record, I think the personas idea has
only a moderate to small chance of success, and has the potential to be
actively misleading.  But I am not trying to (and cannot!) stop anyone
from working on it.

This is precisely what I love about GNOME: we don't really need to reach
a consensus.  If someone has an idea, they can solicit feedback.  Even
if the feedback/voting is all negative block energy, the originator of
the idea can still go ahead and Just Do It.  Then if the idea has real
merit it will be adopted.  This is evolutionary product design (survival
of the fittest) at it's best.

Go GNOME, and go the Team!