Re: gnome desktop personas - my very first draft

On Sat, 2005-12-10 at 10:59 +0100, Claus Schwarm wrote:

i started to draft a few characteristics of my "personas"; please tell
me what you think.  remember it's VERY conceptual, they don't even
have names yet  :)
Sorry to butt in here, but I am not sure of the value of this exercise.
Everyone and his dog seem to have a quite clear idea of the "segments"
in GNOME's "market".  But how do we know they are real in any sense?
You could point to your own personal experience, but I could tell you
that my personal experience is different.

Somewhere, I have written something on this.  I will try to dig it up.
(Oh, now I remember!  My PhD thesis.) I feel another article for GNOME
Journal coming on ...

Where's the fun having a target that we would be unable to contact
somehow? ;-)
True, but more tellingly, where is the utility of describing a "segment" that doesn't exist?

Sorry to pour cold water on your creative urges, Santiago (and by all
means feel free to ignore my comments!) but please try to consider the
utility of this "persona" idea.  Where is the evidence that it has led
to effective marketing results?

Also, welcome to the list/community, and thanks for your enthusiasm and
good thoughts!

cheers,

John