Re: gnome desktop personas - my very first draft

Sorry to butt in here, but I am not sure of the value of this exercise.

well, i was starting to question its value myself, considering we're
basing those "personas" in preconceptions and our limited personal
experience with users, instead of carefully collected data.

i guess that questioning is why i haven't added a line in the last few days  :)

on the other hand, maybe it COULD be a valuable tool (but nothing more
than that), at least for making (supposed) target markets look like
something more "living".

True, but more tellingly, where is the utility of describing a "segment" that doesn't exist?

preconceptions can be based in real-life data, not collected
systematically maybe, but actual empirical observation.  i mean,
personas will not be scientific, but they don't necessarily have to be
worthless.

i agree this shouldn't be the way to "build" our target markets, but
it could be an interesting way to picture them (and not much more than
that).

Sorry to pour cold water on your creative urges, Santiago (and by all
means feel free to ignore my comments!)

no problem; i always prefer the truth  :)

anyway, i had my concerns about this idea too, so it's not like those
"urges" were so vibrant.

--
Santiago Roza
Departamento I+D - Thymbra