Re: Direction and Strategy....

<quote who="Hasbullah Bin Pit">

We are on very early stage of gnome marketing project.

I actually quite blank what to do, I've gnome Malaysia Mailing list, but
What's next?

I think we should have global marketing strategy and direction.

Absolutely.

What to market?
Gnome, but which one?
Vanilla? Garnome?  gnome_that_come_with_distro_X?
or maybe a documentation on how to get gnome from various way.

gnome as project or gnome as finished product?

I think our responsibility here is to GNOME as a project, and as a 'source
product'. We're not necessarily promoting a finished product, but there is
the developer platform, the idea of GNOME as the standard for Open Source
(Free Software) desktops, etc. There will be a lot of discussion about these
issues, I'm sure - and it will involve the greater community and the
Foundation too.

Your other questions (who? how?) are ones which I feel we can purposefully
avoid in the initial stages of the project. I mentioned this in the original
email:

  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/marketing-list/2003-November/msg00000.html

Our initial projects (regional lists, press kit and presentation materials)
can be completed without getting into the difficult, deeper questions. Once
the developer community trusts that we have their best interests at heart,
and have already succeeded with our initial goals, they will be more willing
to trust us with the tough marketing questions. :-) Baby steps first.

I have been concentrating quite a bit on the regional lists stuff in the
last week - I'm going to pay more attention to our other projects this week.

Thanks,

- Jeff

                 "No shit, sherlock holmes com " - Mr. Bad