Re: [Ekiga-list] Ekiga is dead according to Gentoo

On 01/22/2018 08:58 AM, Damien Sandras wrote:

Indeed. Ekiga 5 is ready since 2 years except for the IM part.
However, releasing it requires several hours of polishing, writing a
new manual, updating the website, the ekiga.net platform, and so on.

I do not have the time anymore to dedicate all my evenings and all my
week-ends to free software development.
I work for companies that allow some open-source development.  As they
use open-source, they recognize that this is the cost - instead of a
license fee.

I moved on to linphone to get IP6 support.  One annoying limitation of
linphone, however, is that you can listen on IP6 or IP4 - but not both.
I still use diamondcard.us and ekiga.net - but mainly I use peer to peer
SIP with IP6.  I have to switch the config to IP4 to use
diamondcard/ekiga.net.   I could run linphone on IP6 and ekiga on IP4 -
but echo cancellation doesn't work with ekiga-4.0.1 on Fedora (maybe one
of the libraries).

Ekiga has a much better address book than linphone.  This is actually
even more annoying than switching between IP6 and IP4.

Trying to get the word out that you don't actually need telcos - other
than a humdinger of a network effect.  P-to-p SIP for the win!  Sure,
the "phone numbers" (IP6 addresses) are long, but it just goes in the
address book!

It makes me more sad than you can ever imagine, but currently, there
is noone developing on Ekiga itself.