Re: [Ekiga-list] About Ekiga.net

On Tue, 31 Mar 2015, Damien Sandras wrote:

Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 23:06:51
From: Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com>
Subject: Re: [Ekiga-list] About Ekiga.net

Le lundi 30 mars 2015 à 14:38 +0800, Bret Busby a écrit :

"
Unknown error

When connecting to: http://www.ekiga.org
"

It works here. That is wierd. Does it work with any other browser ?

I have dealt with that in another message in a kind of new thread.

so I can not find what is the latest "stable" version of Ekiga, as
according to the ekiga project web site.

The latest stable release is 4.0.1. 3.x is very very very old (4 or 5
years old actually).

This computer is running Debian 6 LTS.

Ekiga was, I believe, installed from the Debian repository, as a Debian package, via the Debian package manager.

The web page at
https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=ekiga&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all
shows

"
You have searched for packages that names contain ekiga in all suites, all sections, and all architectures. Found 3 matching packages.

Exact hits

Package ekiga
squeeze (oldstable) (gnome): H.323 and SIP compatible VoIP client
3.2.7-2: amd64 armel i386 ia64 mips mipsel powerpc s390 sparc
wheezy (stable) (gnome): H.323 and SIP compatible VoIP client
3.2.7-6: amd64 armel armhf i386 ia64 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 mips mipsel powerpc s390 s390x sparc
jessie (testing) (gnome): H.323 and SIP compatible VoIP client
4.0.1-5: amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 mips mipsel powerpc ppc64el s390x
sid (unstable) (gnome): H.323 and SIP compatible VoIP client
4.0.1-5: alpha amd64 arm64 armel armhf hppa i386 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 mips mipsel powerpc powerpcspe ppc64 ppc64el s390x sparc
4.0.1-3 [debports]: sparc64
3.2.7-6 [debports]: m68k
3.2.7-5 [debports]: sh4
"

"squeeze" is Debian 6.

"wheezy" is Debian 7.

Debian 7 is still too problematic.

Debian 6 is less problematic than Debian 7, but, I do not regard Debian 6 as having yet become stable.

Anyway, the latest available version of Ekiga, as a Debian package, for a "stable" version of Debian Linux, shows as being vesion 3.2.7-x.

The "supported" lifecycle of Debian 6, as a new(ish) LTS version of Debian Linux, is expected to go for about another year from now.

If, as expected, Debian 7 has a five year supported lifecycle, as a "stable" version of Debian, then that would have about another three years, being the duration of the "LTS".

At
http://www.debian.org/releases/
is

"
The current stable distribution of Debian is version 7, codenamed wheezy. It was initially released as version 7.0 on May 4th, 2013
"

Discussion on the Debian LTS mailing list, shows that Debian 6 LTS is expected to be supported up until 06 February 2016, being five years from the initial release of Debian 6 as a "stable" version of Debian Linux, and, discussion has been occurring, showing an expectation that Debian 7 will have LTS, so that that would be supported for five years from its initial release as a "stable" version of Debian Linux, thus having support up until 04 May 2018.

In 2013, was, I believe, the last time that I had tried to get Ekiga
working on this computer.

The version of Ekiga that is installed on this (Debian 6 LTS) computer,
appears unchanged from when I used it, and, posted messages to this
list, about it, in 2013.

I had tried Ekiga and Linphone, and could not get either working - I
believe that the mailing list archives, should show the results. I
correct that - in having looked through some of my messages posted to
this list, in 2013, I had got the voice component working, for calls,
but, not the video component, so, I had not been able to get ekiga
working for videocalling.

I had been able to get skype working, but microsoft took over skype,
and, sabotaged it, I believe, last year.

The only videocalling software that I had been able to get working, on
Linux, was skype v 2.2 beta (the full version umber, is in the list
archives, in messages that I posted about it, in 2013) which worked well
enough, and, was relatively good, until microsoft sabotaged it.

Without knowing where ekiga is located (in which country/region), I do
not know whether applicable laws, would allow for the reverse
engineering of skype 2.2 beta, so as to get that operational again, or,
whether the ekiga project people, would be inclined to do that, even if
it was legal.

But, at present, I do not have access to any operational videocalling
software, that works on Linux.

We really need to improve things !

--
Damien SANDRAS

As mentioned above, this computer, in running Debian 6, which is expected to be supported for about another year, has the latest Ekiga package version available for this operating system; 3.2.7-2, as was mentioned in the messages posted by me to this mailing list, in early 2013, and no later version of Ekiga, as a Debian package to run on Debian 6, is available for installation/upgrade.

Similarly, for the current "stable" version of Debian Linux; Debian 7, the latest Ekiga package version available for that operating system, as cited above, is 3.2.7-6.

So, that is where we now are.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale