Re: [Ekiga-list] About Ekiga.net

Hello.

Due to the format of the message that was posted, I can not see the text of the message to which I am replying.

I signed up for Ekiga, in, I believe, 2008.

I have installed, on this computer, Ekiga v 3.2.7, on Debian 6 LTS Linux. I assume that version of Ekiga, to be the latest version of ekiga, that is available for Debian 6 LTS (which (Debian 6 LTS) has a "supported" lifetime, for about another year)

I do not know what is the latest "stable" version of Ekiga.

The version of Ekiga that I have installed, shows the web site for Ekiga, to be http://www.ekiga.org/ , which returns, in rekonq,

"
Unknown error

When connecting to: http://www.ekiga.org
"

so I can not find what is the latest "stable" version of Ekiga, as
according to the ekiga project web site.

In 2013, was, I believe, the last time that I had tried to get Ekiga working on this computer.

The version of Ekiga that is installed on this (Debian 6 LTS) computer, appears unchanged from when I used it, and, posted messages to this list, about it, in 2013.

I had tried Ekiga and Linphone, and could not get either working - I believe that the mailing list archives, should show the results. I correct that - in having looked through some of my messages posted to this list, in 2013, I had got the voice component working, for calls, but, not the video component, so, I had not been able to get ekiga working for videocalling.

I had been able to get skype working, but microsoft took over skype, and, sabotaged it, I believe, last year.

The only videocalling software that I had been able to get working, on Linux, was skype v 2.2 beta (the full version umber, is in the list archives, in messages that I posted about it, in 2013) which worked well enough, and, was relatively good, until microsoft sabotaged it.

Without knowing where ekiga is located (in which country/region), I do not know whether applicable laws, would allow for the reverse engineering of skype 2.2 beta, so as to get that operational again, or, whether the ekiga project people, would be inclined to do that, even if it was legal.

But, at present, I do not have access to any operational videocalling software, that works on Linux.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
  Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
  A Trilogy In Four Parts",
  written by Douglas Adams,
  published by Pan Books, 1992
Hi everyone,

Ekiga.net has been running since 2006 when there were no free SIP providers. Maintaining the platform is much work for our small team. Some features have been missing for years without anyone having the time to implement them.

Should we keep the platform or try to find a partnership with someone to move it to another platform?

Who is using Ekiga.net?

Through the years there have been nearly 1 million subscribers.

Ah well, if each of them had donated 1 € ;)
--
Damien SANDRAS

Ekiga Project
http://www.ekiga.org