[Ekiga-list] usability

snip

You either hard code the LAN ip address to forward your SIP traffic,
or you have to configure your router to dynamically configure the
required ports to the LAN ip address which opens port 3478 or 3479, if
possible.

I am pretty sure you will not get dyndns to provide your LAN ip
address unless your router is in a bridge mode where the LAN ip
address is the WAN ip address.
Okay - let me put that straight:
I can use ekiga with the WAN IP of my router as registrar (since it
works obviously perfectly) but I can't use the dyndns which should be
(per definition) nothing else but a mapping between hostname an ip. It
sounds a bit weird to me.
Also I don't use the voip provider directly (which I wanted to make
clear by saying: the registrar is my router).
It is connected to the isp (which in my case is the voip provider) and
forwards calls to it's clients - e.g. ekiga (or the "normal" telephone).
And since it shall forward the calls not only in LAN but over WAN, I
need to tell ekiga the WAN ip of my router - and here I want to use
dyndns.....

snip

WOW!  OK  I don't feel so dumb anymore and it is clear to me why none of
these have caught on and why people still use $kype.  If this is what
you've got to do/understand to get an FOSS VoIP client up and running
I'm guessing that $kype will continue to have a long LONG life of spying
ahead.
    Even if one get this up and running the chances that the person you
hope to communicate will also be able to are slim to none.  Sad...
        FOSS for once can't hold a candle to the proprietary crap and that
really is a bummer.  As long as this is the case none of these options
will go anywhere beyond a TINY group of individuals and will eventually
vanish.  :-(
     I am not one to champion usability as I think that hurts lots of
software but in this case... ya, you've got a usability problem!  A HUGE
ONE!  The more I read on this mailing list the more helpless I feel.  I
not a complete noob by any stretch of the imagination...

GnuPG Fingerprint: 7770 D186 A06E A329 2217 3161 63EB F269 37B8 8644
“If you’re doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to hide from the giant
surveillance apparatus that the government’s been hiding.”
– Stephen Colbert