Re: [Ekiga-list] usability

On 09/04/2013 10:46 AM, That Guy wrote:
snip

WOW!  OK  I don't feel so dumb anymore and it is clear to me why none of
these have caught on and why people still use $kype.  If this is what
you've got to do/understand to get an FOSS VoIP client up and running
I'm guessing that $kype will continue to have a long LONG life of spying
ahead.
     Even if one get this up and running the chances that the person you
hope to communicate will also be able to are slim to none.  Sad...
        FOSS for once can't hold a candle to the proprietary crap and that
really is a bummer.  As long as this is the case none of these options
will go anywhere beyond a TINY group of individuals and will eventually
vanish.  :-(
      I am not one to champion usability as I think that hurts lots of
software but in this case... ya, you've got a usability problem!  A HUGE
ONE!  The more I read on this mailing list the more helpless I feel.  I
not a complete noob by any stretch of the imagination...

This is not a FOSS problem, but a protocol problem. All these complex problems are caused by a combination of NAT - which is a work around for IP4 running out of addresses, and multi-port protocols like SIP or H323. If IP6 was fully deployed, you would not have to do/know all that. If Ekiga used IAX, it would work much more transparently with NAT as well. Skype uses a protocol very similar to IAX in terms of muliplexing multiple logical channels over a single TCP/UDP port.

But please note that you do NOT have do/know all that if you use a commercial intermediary (as you must do with Skype as well). Using Ekiga with diamondcard, nextiva, or other SIP providers is painless - NAT and all. All the tricky workarounds are done by the provider. Using SIP peer to peer is complex because both sides have to act as a server as well as a client - and the server side requires the NAT work arounds.