Re: [Ekiga-list] Query about sharing of physical devices

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013, Eugen Dedu wrote:

On 21/02/13 11:46, Bret Busby wrote:
Hello.

A question occurred to me, in a conversation with Greg.

Where a person has accounts with more than one softphone access
provider; eg, I have one with each of Skype, Ekiga and Linphone
(although, at present, I am not so concerned with continuing use of
Linphone), and, thence, an Ekiga account, a Skype account, and a
Linphone account, can the physical devices be shared, so as to enable
concurrent logins and access to the different accounts, thus allowing a
user to be simultaneously connected to Skype, Ekiga and Linphone?

It depends. For ex., ekiga listens on port 5060, and if linphone uses the same port the two programs will not function properly.

The devices themselves should not be a problem I think, since they are opened only during communication.

The accounts are not a problem either, as soon as they use different providers on the three programs.

From memory, with some software, for example, audio and/or video
recordings, trying to run one, while another is running/paused, can lead
to an error message such as "device is busy", or "device is in use by
another application, referring to a soundcard, graphics card, speakers,
etc.

Indeed, because that device is opened in one program (which uses it), and the other one wants to open it too.

An update; in the course of the tests that Greg and I ran, I found that Ekiga and Linphone use the same port number and therefore clash for it, but Skype uses a different port number, and I successfully ran Skype while Ekiga was running, and, inasmuch as we achieved what success that we did achieve with Ekiga (both Greg and I running Ekiga v 3.2.x), it did not make any difference whether Skype was running.

I also had successful video calls between me and NZ, apart from the (reasonably) succesful video calls between me and Greg, via Skype, while Ekiga was running.

Thus, it appears that Linphone and Ekiga, can not be run concurrently, but Ekiga and Skype can be run concurrently.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."