Re: [Ekiga-list] Some general SIP questions

I answered questions 1 and 3. Question 2 remain empty.

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 15:57:36 -0800 (PST)
el_gallo_azul <el_gallo_azul yahoo com> wrote:

After thinking about it, I realised yesterday that what I said might
have given the impression that I don't know what I'm talking about,
which is kind of true.

I have three SIP accounts:

1. An ekiga.net account
I set this up a long time ago because I wanted to find an alternative
to Skype, and this looked like the best way to get my feet wet.

2. A diamondcard account
I got this originally so that I could call SIP-->phone to my Auntie
in another country

3. A SIP account with my ISP
This one replaced my POTS landline a year or so ago. It is a SIP
account which enables my landline number to function the same as my
old POTS number.

I have the following questions:

1. Can any SIP account establish a connection with any other SIP
account?

It depends, if a provider is blocking SIP traffic only to its domain
then communications of this provider will be only within its domain.

e.g. Facebook and WhatsApp are both using Jabber/XMPP (which is usually
opened to other domains like SIP) for their communications, but both
restrict their communications merely for their domain names.

2. What is the nature of the obstacles in the way of this? For
example, some registrars not being able to establish connections with
others, commercial 'gateways', etc.

3. Is more than one SIP account in my e-mail signature redundant
(assuming all three registrars are working)?

IMHO, Maybe you need to add, near Diamondcard, a number to call you
back from land-line, if there is.

Greg Flint

PO Box 642
Parap
NT 0804
Australia

Phone +61 (0)8 8945 1725
Mobile +61 (0)428 279 021
Australian Central Standard Time (CST) = GMT + 9.5
sip: el_gallo_azul ekiga net
sip: 473936 sip diamondcard us