Re: [Ekiga-list] Why the RFC 1855 hate? Was: webcam trouble

On 05/11/12 07:27, James Phillips wrote:
On Sat, Nov 03, 2012 at 10:17:50AM +0100, Eugen Dedu wrote:
<SNIP!>
PS Please do not remove lines from past e-mails when replying.

According to RFC 1855 - Netiquette Guidelines

In the section on group replies:

       If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
       summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
       enough text of the original to give a context.  This will make
       sure readers understand when they start to read your response.
       Since NetNews, especially, is proliferated by distributing the
       postings from one host to another, it is possible to see a
       response to a message before seeing the original.  Giving context
       helps everyone.  But do not include the entire original!

http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html

Well, it would help me to know that the error was on Overlay missing, but in your e-mail that information was absent. In fact, I did not remember what was the problem, I had to go to previous e-mails in Trash.

Why are those guidelines now considered obsolete? Does your mail client
not support threading?

Yes, but I work like this: when I process an e-mail, I remove it. This allows me to have all "open" e-mails in the folder.