Re: [Ekiga-list] ekiga-list Digest, Vol 72, Issue 1

On 02/07/12 16:25, Morris Beverly wrote:

Hi,

I haven't even bothered to attempt connections to polycom gear for a few
years now. My most recent experience was the same as yours, audio but no
video. I finally gave up & bought the polycom $100 app so I could test
connections without having to drag out our polycom gear every time.

My first guess would be that the qdx series only uses h264 as a video
codec. I think the qdx series is their "hi def" series and they probably
only support that codec, although I could certainly be wrong. I haven't
kept up much with ekiga lately but I assume that h264 support still
isn't available. If it is, in fact avaialable in ekiga, I would try to
look into what level of support there is - baseline, main, etc - on both
the polycom and ekiga. Polycom support is usually pretty good if you can
give them a very specific question.

h264 support has been working since several months now, in trunk/master only (see http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Download_Ekiga_sources); moreover it is a high level (i.e. very good) implementation as far as I understood. There have recently been several compatibility fixes for polycom in opal underlying library, its support should be very good now as far as I understood.

The other possibility is that encryption is being enabled on the video
(but not the audio) in one of polycom's byzantine menu structures.

You can check the video packet status in the diagnostics setup menu.
that may give you some info as to whether the video is getting in and
out, but isn't being decoded or if it's actually a network problem
related to ports.

I'd love to see you get this working. If you do, I'll probably get more
involved again. Please let everyone know what you find out since polycom
connectivity is extremely important for business use. If you need to try
a connection to another unit, let me know via my direct email (morrisb
aT avpresentations cOM) and I may be able to set up our vsx 7000 so you
can call in.

People who want interoperability with polycom should build trunk/master and inform us (or opalvoip mailing list) if there are still problems.