Re: [Ekiga-list] Difficulties getting started with Ekiga

--- On Mon, 23/1/12, Eugen Dedu <Eugen Dedu pu-pm univ-fcomte fr> wrote:

From: Eugen Dedu <Eugen Dedu pu-pm univ-fcomte fr>
Subject: Re: [Ekiga-list] Difficulties getting started with Ekiga
Date: Monday, 23 January, 2012, 5:26 PM

On 20/01/12 20:27, Ken Resander wrote:
> Hi Eugen,
>
> I just tried sending with 8 attachments of debug data, but total
> message became too large and the email was rejected because of this.
>
> I provided debug data for both peers for four different cases, but
> there was a lot of debug info generated and the files rapidly became
> quite large. I noticed you want a maximum of about 35kb per debug. I
> don't know if that is possible or how to achieve it. You also suggest
> an upload site. I tried that but all debug files are larger than the
> max of 150000 of that site. I don't know if I can achieve that with
> minimum file at present 235KB.
>
> At the moment the total size of the attachments is 15MB. If I redo
> everything I should be able to reduce that. But since have the data
> now, is there a way I can get it across to you, e.g. by using another
> email address or a different upload site?
>
> Or can I ask for less debug output?
>
> So no attachments yet.
>
> The following is the covering email text....
>

> +++++ post with too large attachments starting here  +++++ This post
> contains some debug data (as attachments).
>
> I tried to get debug data for the Windows local video freeze problem,
> but no window showed when invoking Ekiga from the Windows command
> line. Tried Echo test and running with a remote peer. I invoked the
> command line by the Run function on the Windows entry page. The debug
> output file ekiga_stderr appeared on the Windows Desktop and I am
> attaching this. However, when invoking Ekiga interactively (by
> clicking the Ekiga icon) the video shows. Why this difference?

There should be no difference, are you sure you have not done something
different, for ex. disabling the video on your computer?

RESPONSE: video not disabled.

I do not understand something: you say no window appears, still you
tried echo test?!

RESPONSE:  yes,  but phrase  'window appears' is wrong/incomplete, should be 'window content appears' (i.e. the local video data).

Finally, in ekiga-stderr I see that no video codec is selected, be sure
to select h261 and theora.  Have you unchecked them?  When you installed
ekiga, do you remember what you have chosen in Configuration Assistant
at Connection Type page?

RESPONSE: I have just redone the Configuration Assistant when Ekiga is invoked from the command line. There are no video codecs to select (no checkboxes), but when running ekiga interactively there are video codec choices and all are ticked.

> LOCAL-REMOTE VIDEO DISPLAY PROBLEM
>
> Start from commandline with debugging on entering sip-addresses.
>
> UBUNTU TO UBUNTU
>
> netbook: ubuntu 10.04.03 lts, sip address sip:minnie mouse ekiga com
> desktop: ubuntu 10.04 lts sip, address sip:donald duck ekiga com
>
> 1.  connect and disconnect from netbook with minnie.mouse
>
> note: both computers stayed in Local Video mode, so only local local
> video showed, tried twice. On disconnect got Segmentation error on
> netbook.
>
> debug files: ekigadonald.txt ekigaminnie.txt

As I told you, you cannot call reliably a computer in the same network
using ...@ekiga.net

RESPONSE: I don't understand why this is not possible. If this is never going to be possible, what is the work round?

And the segmentation error was fixed after your
ekiga version.

> 2.  connect and disconnect from desktop pc with donald.duck
>
> note: desktop pc entered picture-in-picture mode and showed inset
> local video and lots of small multi-coloured rectangles moving
> arbitrarily instead of expected remote video data from minnie.mouse.
> Just by clicking in GUI View menu these changed to the correct live
> remote video from netbook! Netbook stayed in local mode throughout.
> Tried a second time and then both computers remained in Local Video
> mode. Tried third time and got the coloured rectangles again.
> However, this time they did not go away when I tried all picture-mode
> options on thw View menu.
>
> debug files: ekigadonald2.txt ekigaminnie2.txt  (first attempt)
> ekigadonald3.txt ekigaminnie3.txt  (second attempt) ekigadonald4.txt
> ekigaminnie4.txt  (third attempt)

I do not have enough time to check the video multi-coloured rectangles,
especially that there are chances that it got fixed in a version of
ekiga more recent than your version.

RESPONSE:  What do I need to do in order to get a more recent binary version for Windows XP and Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and Ubuntu 10.04.03 LTS?

> WINDOWS XP TO UBUNTU
>
> No video showed on the computers when running Ekiga from the command
> line. When running Ekiga interactively my previous post reports
> problems similar to those affecting UBUNTU to UBUNTU.
>

> MISC
>
> 1.  When entering a sip-address from the keyboard I have to click the
> green handset icon twice in order to start a call. Clicking once
> should be enough.

This is very simple to change, but I think other users disagree.

RESPONSE:  I think the red and green handset are buttons so it would be more natural to click them once.

Best regards
RESPONSE text by Ken