Re: [Ekiga-list] Difficulties getting started with Ekiga

On 20/01/12 20:27, Ken Resander wrote:
Hi Eugen,

I just tried sending with 8 attachments of debug data, but total
message became too large and the email was rejected because of this.

I provided debug data for both peers for four different cases, but
there was a lot of debug info generated and the files rapidly became
quite large. I noticed you want a maximum of about 35kb per debug. I
don't know if that is possible or how to achieve it. You also suggest
an upload site. I tried that but all debug files are larger than the
max of 150000 of that site. I don't know if I can achieve that with
minimum file at present 235KB.

At the moment the total size of the attachments is 15MB. If I redo
everything I should be able to reduce that. But since have the data
now, is there a way I can get it across to you, e.g. by using another
email address or a different upload site?

Or can I ask for less debug output?

So no attachments yet.

The following is the covering email text....

+++++ post with too large attachments starting here  +++++ This post
contains some debug data (as attachments).

I tried to get debug data for the Windows local video freeze problem,
but no window showed when invoking Ekiga from the Windows command
line. Tried Echo test and running with a remote peer. I invoked the
command line by the Run function on the Windows entry page. The debug
output file ekiga_stderr appeared on the Windows Desktop and I am
attaching this. However, when invoking Ekiga interactively (by
clicking the Ekiga icon) the video shows. Why this difference?

There should be no difference, are you sure you have not done something different, for ex. disabling the video on your computer?

I do not understand something: you say no window appears, still you tried echo test?!

Finally, in ekiga-stderr I see that no video codec is selected, be sure to select h261 and theora. Have you unchecked them? When you installed ekiga, do you remember what you have chosen in Configuration Assistant at Connection Type page?

LOCAL-REMOTE VIDEO DISPLAY PROBLEM

Start from commandline with debugging on entering sip-addresses.

UBUNTU TO UBUNTU

netbook: ubuntu 10.04.03 lts, sip address sip:minnie mouse ekiga com
desktop: ubuntu 10.04 lts sip, address sip:donald duck ekiga com

1.  connect and disconnect from netbook with minnie.mouse

note: both computers stayed in Local Video mode, so only local local
video showed, tried twice. On disconnect got Segmentation error on
netbook.

debug files: ekigadonald.txt ekigaminnie.txt

As I told you, you cannot call reliably a computer in the same network using ...@ekiga.net. And the segmentation error was fixed after your ekiga version.

2.  connect and disconnect from desktop pc with donald.duck

note: desktop pc entered picture-in-picture mode and showed inset
local video and lots of small multi-coloured rectangles moving
arbitrarily instead of expected remote video data from minnie.mouse.
Just by clicking in GUI View menu these changed to the correct live
remote video from netbook! Netbook stayed in local mode throughout.
Tried a second time and then both computers remained in Local Video
mode. Tried third time and got the coloured rectangles again.
However, this time they did not go away when I tried all picture-mode
options on thw View menu.

debug files: ekigadonald2.txt ekigaminnie2.txt  (first attempt)
ekigadonald3.txt ekigaminnie3.txt  (second attempt) ekigadonald4.txt
ekigaminnie4.txt  (third attempt)

I do not have enough time to check the video multi-coloured rectangles, especially that there are chances that it got fixed in a version of ekiga more recent than your version.

WINDOWS XP TO UBUNTU

No video showed on the computers when running Ekiga from the command
line. When running Ekiga interactively my previous post reports
problems similar to those affecting UBUNTU to UBUNTU.

MISC

1.  When entering a sip-address from the keyboard I have to click the
green handset icon twice in order to start a call. Clicking once
should be enough.

This is very simple to change, but I think other users disagree.