[Ekiga-list] Difficulties getting started with Ekiga

I fetched Ekiga 3.2.6 from the Ubuntu Software Centre and downloaded the latest Windows Ekiga 3.2.7 from internet.

I am considering Ekiga as an alternative to Skype, but I am having some initial difficulties. I have only just started using Ekiga.

I am testing with a dual-boot desktop PC with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and Windows XP and a netbook running Ubuntu 10.04.03 LTS.

DESKTOP PC WITH UBUNTU 10.04 AND NETBOOK WITH UBUNTU 10.04.03

Linux Skype 2.2 beta work with these computers and Cheese too, so sound and video are ok.

1. first created a handful of Ekiga SIP addresses from Ekiga.net. I then ran the config wizard for both computers using these addresses and received 'could not register' error messages for both and for all (I think) SIP addreses. Tried many times and then suddenly after having created a few more addresses Ekiga worked. I did not and still do not understand why. I have probably misunderstood how the config and the sip addresses should be used and the significance of these.

Q1. what are the common explanations of the 'could not register' error message that might be applicable here?

On start of Ekiga both computers showed a caption 'Neighbours' in the Contacts list. When starting the second computer the user-friendly name of the first showed under its Neighbours caption and the Neighbours list of the first showed the user-friendly name of the second. Double clicking the user-friendly name started a call to the other party and sound and video worked fine.

I then created sip addresses sip:donald duck ekiga com and sip:minnie mouse ekiga com from ekiga.net. I removed all addresses from the contacts list and assigned donald.duck to the desktop PC and minnie.mouse to the netbook using the config wizard. These showed as registered on each computer.

2.  I then connected by entering user name donald.duck into the sip-address field at the top of the Ekiga dialog for the netbook. It connected but each computer showed the local video, not the video coming from the remote party.
I also tried entering minnie.mouse from the input field of Ekiga on the desktop PC with same result.

After connecting by entering donald.duck into the sip field from the netbook the address field of the desktop PC showed sip:minnie mouse ekiga com and the netbook still showed sip:donald duck ekiga com.

However, when connection was established with double-clicking user-friendly name donald.duck from netbook the netbook showed sip:neighbour@meijin-desktop.local:5060 in the sip-address field at the top and the desktop showed sip:homeaddress-of-netbook@ipaddress.

Q2.  why is the local video shown instead of the remote-party video?

Q3.  quitting Ekiga from one computer causes quit from Ekiga on the other computer. Is this the intention?

DESKTOP PC WITH WINDOWS XP AND NETBOOK WITH UBUNTU 10.04.03

There is no Neighbours caption in the Contacts list of donald.duck on the Windows XP desktop PC. The netbook has a Neighbours caption, but it does not show the Donald Duck friendly name. There is nothing to double click, so the only way to connect seems to be to manually enter the user name into the sip field, but then the problem described in 2 above occurs (local video instead of remote party video shows). When connecting from the netbook the netbook's video shows on the Windows PC, but the video from Windows does not show (the local netbook video is there instead). Additionally the (local) video stops almost immediately on the Windows PC.

I must get Ekiga to work on a Windows PC since a large majority of my friends would not want to and could not install Ubuntu. I think all would be willing to install Ekiga on their Windows PCs though. They are happy with Skype - from their perspective I am the odd one out insisting on Ubuntu.

Would really appreciate some help.

Ken