Re: [Ekiga-list] Sound very choppy: lin/win connection, PulseAudio, ekiga.net sip address

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 19:16, Eugen Dedu
<Eugen Dedu pu-pm univ-fcomte fr> wrote:
>> The sound quality of our conversations was unusable: it was completely
>> choppy. Could that be because:
>> 1) My distro uses PulseAudio
>
> Maybe, see below.

Thanks.

>> What should I do first? I do not want to replace PulseAudio with Alsa
>> because I have other applications that depend on PulseAudio.
>
> I think the problem is because:
> - either pulse; in last unstable release, ekiga is finally provided with a
> ptlib plugin for pulse, this should solve this issue in my opinion (I have
> not tested, but it is a plugin expecially for pulse) - this last version is
> not as usable as 3.2.x release, we are preparing it, but it might take more
> time

Thanks. As I'm the only Linux user of the bunch, I will take a look at
the unstable.

> - or because G.722 and G.711 audio plugins are not well supported in ekiga;
> I advise to use speex

Great, thanks.

> - or your sound card is sub-optimal

Thanks. I did not realise that Ekiga could be so intensive on the
sound card. In any case, it is a 5.1 onboard card that ships with a
gaming motherboard (and has killer onboard video as well) so I doubt
that is the issue. But maybe one of the Windows machines has an old
Creative16 card or such. I'll check, thanks.

>> The problem you
>> will run into with Ekiga on Windows, Linux, or MAC is DTMF tones using
>> RFC2833.
>
> Well, I think this is an issue in very special cases, not in the case of
> this person.

Good to know.

--
Dotan Cohen